Vertex Cell and genetic therapies represent two rapidly emerging therapeutic modalities with the potential to treat—and even cure—several of the diseases Vertex is focused on, including sickle cell disease, Duchenne muscular dystrophy and type 1 diabetes. Further investment in a research site specifically designed to advance these programs will be key to Vertex’s continued and sustained leadership in these exciting approaches. At Vertex Cell and Genetic Therapies (VCGT) our research teams will bring together the best biology, technologies and enhanced manufacturing capabilities to ensure we bring these cutting-edge transformative therapies to patients as quickly as possible.
Vertex is seeking talented individuals early in their careers to join our Process Development group in Boston, Cambridge, MA, and Providence, RI! Our Process Development group offers a fast paced and high energy environment. The successful candidate will be working in cutting edge technologies such as Stem Cell and Gene Editing Therapies and will also be responsible for process development, optimization, as well as characterization of cell product for ongoing and future projects.
The candidate will have:
· Hands-on experience with cell sorting and enrichment, cell culturing, harvest and cryopreservation.
· Process optimization including scale-up and scale-down models
· Solid background in understanding principles of molecular and cell biology techniques and/or experience working with cell processing devices and bioreactors
· Ability to apply statistical principles to guide process optimization
· Conduct experiments, characterization and data analyses in support of process characterization and improvement
· Drive development activities working in a cross-functional environment
· Author and review technical reports, regulatory filings, source documents, patents and external publications.
· Accountable for troubleshooting and resolving high complex process challenges.
· Collaborate within departmental teams, actively contribute to deliverables and engage in team discussion on issue resolution.
For these roles we will either be hiring an early talent individual (0-2 years outside of graduating) with a BS degree into an Associate II role or a MS degree into a Sr. Associate role.
· BS or MS in Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering
· 2-5 years of relevant laboratory experience
· Hands-on experience working with cell culture
· Working knowledge of GxP and working under regulatory environment
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to handle multiple tasks while meeting timelines and adapting to changing priorities.
· Strong organizational skills and high attention to details
· Expertise and experience working with primary cell culture (hematopoietic stem cells): culturing, sorting, transfection, characterization. Hands on experience with a variety of techniques such as flow cytometers, sorters, and transfection techniques, including electroporation.
· Experience developing processes for clinical applications
· Strong background in applying statistical approaches in the design and analysis of experiments and experience with Quality by Design (QbD)