About Village Book Builders
The Story of Village Book Builders starts with the simple love of books. It’s easy to forget all the incredible things access to books have brought us. Books taught us how to read, which is essential to our personal growth & development. A deeper look shows us that books taught us to think critically, build empathy, growing imaginations, and help us build brighter futures.
We know that not all children have access to the educational resources they need and that not having access to books is just the beginning. After years of studying this issue, we know that students in developing areas don’t always attend schools with the proper resources needed to help them grow; they don’t experience appropriate teacher-to-student ratios needed so each student can thrive, and often experience dangers when traveling far just to attend school (particularly young girls). These issues cause local learning cultures to deteriorate and often result in an increase in teen pregnancy rates, all of which impact a community’s ability to economically and sustainably thrive.
That’s why we created Village Book Builders: A non-profit aiming to help communities re-establish learning cultures through access to safe local libraries, books, technology, and student mentorship.
Today we call this Hope Through Books.
If you are a book lover and want to bring hope through books around the world, we want you to join our team.
Start Date: May (Flexible)
End Date: August (Flexible)
Time Commitment: 20+ hours per week
Interviews are held on a rolling basis and applications will be considered until the positions are all filled.
Interns do not need to have all of the qualifications or experience listed below, but a willingness to learn is essential. The ideal intern will have the following traits:
- Preferably pursuing a degree in Computer Science, IT, Product/Project Management, Business, Non-Profit Management, or other related fields
- Relentlessly drive to achieve business-critical milestones
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to break down complex, multiple objectives into organized, prioritized features and tasks, and address projects risks with the team lead and meet deadlines
- Ability to delegate tasks and prioritize tasks as the situation demands
- Able to effectively motivate and assist developers and other interns to complete tasks on time
- Able to demonstrate creative problem-solving capabilities
- Self-starter and passionate about making a difference
- Work with the Engineering team to organize people and prioritize tasks to achieve objectives
- Find ways to improve processes and the performance of the volunteer team members
- Work with Software Development leads to ensure the objectives are clear and well understood
- Work with volunteers to enhance their experiences and impact on projects
- Use project management concepts to increase the efficiency of the team and to meet deadlines
- Successfully deliver, document, and transfer project to next development cycle
- Recruit exceptional candidates to fulfill positions for the Engineering team, as needed
About the Position
This position’s schedule is flexible regarding hours/days and averages 20+ hours per week. You can work remotely from anywhere in the world. You will be joining a team of dedicated, individuals, who are passionate about making a difference. Interns may receive letters of recommendation and job recommendations with corporate sponsors along with the opportunity to learn valuable skills necessary in the field of Project Management. The interns will help improve both the mentor and student experience to increase our effectiveness in changing lives and communities.
Project Focus: Village Portal
The primary goal of the village portal is to connect mentors and mentees. It also serves as a connector to lead mentors, mentor advisors, headmasters/program directors, teachers, and parents. The Village Portal serves as a centralized platform and allows future customization of our mentoring framework. The current volunteer and intern development team built part of the mentoring portal. You will be leading the next development cycle focused on the mentor advisor role with the team to improve the experience and quality of mentoring and education.
- Develop advanced technical writing and communication skills
- Learn and demonstrate management skills to fully deliver solutions for various stakeholders globally with globally distributed software developers
- Familiarise with change management, IT and nonprofit hiring, and onboarding developers
- Master software development product and project management tools
- Familiarise with web application development: REACT JS, Django RESTful, Oracle DB, etc
HR Administrator Note:
As a 501(c)(3) non-profit, Village Book Builders is not subject to the intern regulations of the Fair Labor Standards Act. However, we do believe this internship meets all of the Act’s criteria, including providing an experience similar to that which would be given in an educational environment. Additionally, we clearly communicate with all applicants in advance the internship is an unpaid and short-term opportunity.