Be the driving force in civil engineering while keeping Virginia moving! The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) is looking for the best and brightest recent or upcoming graduates for its Engineering Development and Growth Experience (EDGE). As an EDGE Associate in the next available cohort, you will be offered a meaningful hands-on learning experience, provided with expert coaching and mentoring and receive targeted training to enhance your knowledge and skills.
Through this structured 24-month practical training program you will have the opportunity to:
- Develop mission-critical technical skills and leadership competencies.
- Work on impactful projects and provide influence on their completion.
- Rotate across a wide variety of civil engineering, maintenance, operations, business, and support functions during year one.
- Gain specialized experience in your desired area of focus (i.e., roadway or structural design, traffic engineering, operations, materials, land use, maintenance, residency operations, construction or transportation planning) during year two.
- When you complete the EDGE Program, you will have the opportunity to be placed in a position that aligns with your specialty area and VDOT’s workforce needs. The goal of the EDGE Program is to assist you in developing your engineering expertise and career.
- Skill in basic computer operations.
- Knowledge of construction and maintenance contract policies and procedures.
- Ability to apply the knowledge to complete projects and other tasks.
- Ability to make independent decisions, as well as determine more efficient processes to produce results and maximize resources.
- Ability to obtain Engineer in Training (EIT) designation within 9 months of employment.
- Experience in roadway transportation.
- Experience in design technology, interpreting technical plans and specifications.
- Experience in roadway design and geometric design application.
- Bachelor Degree in Civil Engineering, Civil Engineering Technology, or related engineering degree from an Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) program. If you are an Armed Services Veteran, your degree should be conferred within the last 5 years.
- Possess Engineer in Training (EIT) designation at time of employment.
- Must obtain the Engineer in Training (EIT) designation within nine (9) months of employment.
- This position requires successful completion of fingerprint based criminal history background check and a Motor Vehicle Driving record check.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
- Position may require unrestricted mobility including irregular terrain, work in an outdoor environment and the ability to lift, bend and stand for long periods of time.
- EDGE Associate assignments may include requirements to wear personal protective equipment (hardhat, safety vest, safety boots, etc.) and the ability to work from heights (may include requirements to wear fall protections equipment).
Special Instructions to Applicants
- This job announcement is a continuous recruitment and any position filled will be dependent on available budget.
- Multiple positions may be filled based on business need from this recruitment.
- Moving and Relocation assistance is not available.
- VISA Sponsorship is not available.
- A resume and an unofficial transcript showing a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above on a 4.0 scale must be submitted via the jobs.virginia.gov online application process. A secure electronic or sealed official transcript will be required should an offer be extended.
- The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) is an Equal Opportunity Employer by both policy and practice. For more information about our employment practices, please visit “Information for VDOT Employees and Applicants”:
- http://www.virginiadot.org/jobs/information_for_employees.asp . This website will provide a confirmation of receipt when the application and/or resume is submitted successfully. Please refer to “Your Application” in your RMS Account to check the status of your application for this position.
- State applications and/or resumes submitted via email, postal mail, fax, or in person will not be considered.