The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) is excited to offer and announce a competitive opportunity to serve as a Senior Supervisor Structure and Bridge Engineer (PE) in the Richmond District, Structure and Bridge Division as part of the Maintenance Section. The position will serve as a responsible-charge engineer managing bridge specific on-call contracts related to preservation, major and minor rehabilitation, and cyclical/condition based maintenance.
Field Work: The selected candidate will be conducting field work to include inspecting, measuring and investigating the cause of deterioration and implementing a plan of action to ensure repairs are completed; meeting with construction staff and contractors while in the field during task development as needed; and resolving issues in the field when construction problems arise.
Design, Analyze and Check Structural Elements: The position will be responsible for preparing bridge maintenance/rehabilitation designs and drawings for tasks and environmental sketches; investigating condition of existing structures and assisting in developing scope of proposed bridge rehabilitations; and analyzing structures for safe load carrying capacity, and performing structural calculations and load ratings to ensure soundness and compliance of structural elements.
Contract Coordination – You will be providing technical advice and coordination for district-wide structure maintenance contracts; assisting Bridge Maintenance Manager with scoping of work and priorities; and assisting in preparing contract proposals and coordinating work accomplishments by contract.
Technical Guidance – Selected candidate will be providing technical advice and guidance to Contractors on methods and procedures of repair and rehabilitation; providing technical supervision for field operations; and performing field checks and monitoring progress of structure maintenance work. Also will be providing detailed sketches and material quantity schedules for repairs.
Program Management – Position will be analyzing District-wide bridge inventory and element data, reviewing inspection reports and prioritizing needs.
Specific contract responsibilities – You will be performing contract management activities to include scoping and generating task orders, estimates, no-plan assemblies, details, plan sets, calculations, load ratings, railroad permits, environmental sketches, cross-discipline coordination, construction support, and field reviews.
Programmatic responsibilities – Position will be maintaining contract task backlogs; analysis of the inventory to identify, present, and address needs via internal mechanisms, existing contracts, or the need for a new contract; developing new contracts and renewal of existing; and tracking costs and funding.
VDOT is an emergency response agency and this position is required to work outside of normal work hours during emergency operations.
The successful candidate will have:
- Knowledge of NBI and NBE bridge inspection data, and preservation and preventative maintenance actions and practices
- Knowledge of bridge maintenance, repair, rehabilitation and construction techniques, methods, equipment and materials
- Knowledge of deterioration characteristics of bridge materials
- Knowledge of bridge design standards and specifications
- Ability to develop and monitor budgets, track expenditures and recommend corrective actions
- Valid Professional Engineer’s License
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or related field
- Experience using AASHTO bridge rating software
- Experience and proficiency in constructability review and construction engineering/ problem solving
- Completed NBIS In-Service Bridge Inspection. Completed Element Level Inspection, and have in-depth knowledge of AASHTO Manual and Bridge Element Inspection
- Experience in developing and executing bridge maintenance contracts
- Experience in bridge design engineering, repair and rehabilitation
- Experience managing projects and consultant contracts
References, work history and DMV records will be verified prior to employment. Fingerprint-based background check required. Position is designated as essential to emergency operations and will be required to work outside normal work hours to ensure the safety of the traveling public. Telework options to be determined by manager according to business need. Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States. H1B VISA Sponsorship is not available.
The Commonwealth of Virginia requires all Executive Branch employees, including new hires, rehires or transfers to disclose their vaccination status upon hire. Disclosure of vaccination status (and for those fully vaccinated, proof of vaccination) will be required during new employee orientation on your first day of work. If you are not vaccinated for any reason or choose not to disclose your vaccination status, you will be required to be tested for COVID-19 once per week on an indefinite basis while employed with The Commonwealth of Virginia, and wear a face covering at work while indoors, outdoors when social distancing cannot be maintained, and when riding in vehicles with others.