Would you like an opportunity to use your project management, data analytics and business process improvement skills to improve Virginia’s transportation system?
VDOT’s Traffic Engineering Division is seeking to fill two vacancies within the Traffic Assets Program as Senior Program Analysts. One position is program delivery focused – using strategic thinking and routine coordination with stakeholders to plan, track, implement, and improve statewide assets programs. The other position is focused on data analytics – using data visualization to track and improve program delivery for traffic assets, with a background in Business Intelligence (BI) tools, GIS, and data analytics preferred.
The program has been recognized for excellence and innovation with multiple prestigious national transportation awards.
Your opportunity to join this award-winning team is now!
This role provides an exciting opportunity in leveraging data and technologies to deliver new and innovative programs to optimize the management of Virginia’s vast traffic assets which include 3,100+ traffic signals, 7,400+ miles of guardrail, 80,000+ ADA curb ramps, and nearly one-million traffic signs.
This position works independently to manage and deliver multiple traffic asset programs such as ADA curb ramps, Access Pedestrian Signals (APS), Strategic Guardrail Program, Highway Maintenance Management System, and others using data driven approach to support effective investment decisions.
In this role, you will support the Deputy Program Manager and Program Manager to effectively deliver asset programs and meet performance targets set by VDOT executives.
The ideal candidate to join this exciting new program will have an engineering or data science background, experience with transportation project development, strong communication skills, and the ability to work independently with minimal oversight, and interest in process improvement and data analytics.
In this role, the selected candidate will:
- Work with statewide stakeholders to plan, manage and deliver traffic asset programs such as ADA curb ramps, APS, guardrails and drive programmatic improvements in how VDOT delivers its traffic assets services. Focusing on statewide consistency, efficiency, technical correctness, and compliance.
- Support the suite of asset management tools and provide customer support, data analysis, training, and coordination of resources to system users.
- Collaborate regularly with District and Division stakeholders, Traffic Engineering, Consultants, and other stakeholder groups to develop strategies and achieve identified traffic asset performance goals.
- Manage the technical work of consultants.
- Make strategic, time-critical decisions to advance the program based on limited information and/or conflicting stakeholder input.
VDOT employees serve the citizens of the Commonwealth and the travelling public daily through our mission to plan, deliver, operate and maintain a transportation system that is safe, moves people and goods, enhances the economy, and improves quality of life. VDOT is the third largest state maintained highway system in the country, maintaining over 58,000 miles of roads, bridges, and tunnels, and employing over 7700 people through a diverse workforce. Our culture includes teamwork, transparency, nimble learning, creativity and collaboration that values differences.
In addition to a rewarding work experience, VDOT offers excellent health and life insurance benefits, pre-tax spending accounts, state funded Short and Long Term Disability, paid holidays, vacation, tuition assistance, free wellness programs, and a state retirement plan with options for tax-deferred retirement savings including employer matching.
We are a “Virginia Values Veterans” (V3) official certified company and state agency that provides hiring preference to Veterans and Members of the Virginia National Guard in support of Executive Order 29, (2010). If you are a Veteran or Virginia National Guard Member, we urge you to respond accordingly on your state application.
ADDITIONAL VACANCIES MAY BE FILLED FROM THIS ADVERTISEMENT
- Technical skills in assigned program areas.
- Experience in program evaluation, development and implementation.
- Experience in business and project management.
- Knowledge of management principles.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing with diverse audiences.
- Skill in analyzing data and reaching logical conclusions.
- Effective presentation skills.
- Skill in the use of computers and software applications.
- Knowledge of traffic engineering principles and practices
- Knowledge and experience in transportation and operational projects development, management, and delivery.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with an advanced degree (Ph.D or Master) in engineering, data science or related fields, relatable experience may substitute for degree requirement.
- Experience developing/managing programs related to traffic assets and asset management principles/strategies
- Experience working with consultants and managing consultant tasks
- Knowledge of the latest GIS applications, such as ArcGIS online and mobile applications, data visualization, and GIS operations, policies, procedures, and standards.
- Demonstrated skills in developing and managing large data sets, and integrating data from different sources and across different platforms using business intelligence (BI) applications to develop insights.
- Demonstrated proficiency with data science tools such as R, Python, SAS, SPSS, Minitab, Java, SQL, Tableau, PowerBI, etc.
- Professional Engineer (PE) License.