VMware recognizes that today’s students are tomorrow’s trailblazers, and we value the opportunity to benefit from your fresh perspective. If you thrive in an open, innovative, technology-driven culture, VMware could be the place for you! You will be exposed to a wide range of software platform technologies that are utilized by customers all over the world.
98% of Fortune 500 Companies use VMware Technology!
The most advanced companies in the world turn to VMware to manage, grow and transform their business. When you work here, you’re connected to a global community of innovative, empowered employees working together to solve the most critical technology challenges.
We believe that creativity sparks innovation and inspires our employees to think differently and challenge the status quo. Whether it’s the kind of products we develop, our approach to sustainability, or how we give back to our communities, VMware finds unique ways to bring people together to fuel creative thinking. Want to know more, check out our website https://careers.vmware.com/
VMware offers cutting-edge cloud infrastructure and security services to companies of all shapes and sizes. Our world is all about technology, and that world is growing because the imagination, ingenuity and talent of our teams knows no bounds. We believe that creativity sparks innovation and inspires our employees to think of VMware differently and change the world around them.
Job Role and Responsibilities:
We have the journey for you!
As well as working for one of the best technology companies in the world, under the leadership of the best CEO (voted by Glassdoor), you’ll create innovative solutions and solve complex problems.
You will be working with our team of distributed systems experts on functionality of our core Tanzu GemFire product. GemFire is a distributed, in-memory, and transactional datastore designed to provide very high throughput with predictable low latency. GemFire is built on Apache Geode and is deployed throughout the world by demanding customers serving mission-critical applications in financial, telecommunications, retail, and transportation industries. Our engineering team of open source and distributed systems experts tackle challenges that come with massively parallel distributed systems operating at extreme scale to achieve incredibly low latency transactions. We delve into areas like stream processing, query optimization, parallel function execution, scalable distributed data structures, fault-tolerance paradigms, and peer-to-peer messaging. The work you do will not only be in a product that impacts millions of people, but likely be open source as well. As part of the GemFire team you’ll be working on hard problems with a collaborative team, accelerating your growth as an engineer.
As an Intern at VMware, you’ll take ownership of meaningful, big-picture projects and springboard an impactful career. Become immersed in all aspects of our innovative and collaborative culture, and ensure you get the full VMware experience. You’ll interact with industry thought leaders at one of our world class campuses and enjoy networking, community service, and career development events.
As an intern on the Tanzu GemFire team:
- You will contribute to open source projects like Apache Geode
- You will learn and apply cloud native patterns for building stateful Kubernetes services
- You will be immersed in a collaborative learning culture where your ideas, curiosity, and attention to detail will be valued
- You will have the opportunity to peek under the hood of a complex distributed system and observe real world algorithms for distributed consensus, data replication, and transactional consistency
- You will add new commands to our Redis-compatible API
- You will tune our product to work will with new garbage collection algorithms
- You will debug complex race conditions
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related degree
- Experienced and knowledgeable in Java
- Coursework in progress or completed in (some) of the following: Data Structures and Algorithms, Distributed Systems, Database Systems, Operating Systems, Networking, Security, Cloud Computing, Computer Systems, Parallel Computing.
- Experience with Git, Unix, Junit, or Java Spring.
- Familiarity with Agile development practices like test driven development and continuous integration
- Experience with Kubernetes, either operating or building applications is a plus
- Understanding of distributed algorithms, networking, or concurrency
- Experience with Go or Willingness to learn Go.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
This position is located Beaverton, Oregon.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.