WSDOT is currently seeking an enterprising engineer with experience in environmental compliance, management, and construction inspection to join our Project Engineering Office in Everett, WA. This position is responsible for leading a construction inspection team to ensure projects compliancy with environmental regulations and meeting project specifications. The top candidate selected for this position must be creative in identifying and solving problems, possess excellent project management skills, and have an aspiration to support and mentor their staff.
What to Expect
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, you will:
- Manage the construction of transportation projects to ensure they meet contract specifications, budget, schedule, and permit requirements.
- Lead, schedule and direct all inspection and testing activities for construction of assigned highway related projects.
- Supervise a team of engineers and technicians to accomplish assigned goals.
- Manage activities related to inspection and documentation of contractor activities, including daily reports, pay notes, schedule, correspondence, consultant activities, contractor submittals, materials requirements, and other stakeholders.
- Update internal staff of project status and any changes for planned activities, proposed changes to items of work and pending risks to scope, schedule or budget.
- Ensure assigned projects are environmentally compliant and make recommendations as needed.
- Review and understand all permit requirements and conditions for projects under construction.
- Perform plan and environmental permit reviews on various highway related projects that are in design phase and prepare associated review comments.
- Perform inspection for construction projects and prepare reports.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- High School Diploma or GED or two-year Associate or Technical degree or equivalent.
- Two (2) years’ experience as a Construction Transportation Engineer 2 or equivalent.
- Certified Traffic Control Supervisor, Certified Temporary Erosion Control Lead (CESCL), and Certified General Inspector or the ability to obtain requirements within 120 days of employment.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and legally able to drive state owned vehicles, pick-up truck, van or sedan.
- Experience with project management.
- Supervisory or managerial experience.
- In-depth knowledge of highway related construction procedure including inspection, materials testing, and documentation procedures.
- Strong mathematical skills with the ability to solve complex engineering problems.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- One (1) or more years’ experience directly supervising two or more technical or engineering staff.
- Three (3) or more years of progressively responsible civil engineering experience.
- Bachelors degree in Civil Engineering.