Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world’s access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Waymo takes an integrated approach to building the world’s first fully autonomous driving technology, with researchers, designers, product managers, and technical program managers working side by side. We seek to understand the needs of our users and the opportunities of the technology to ensure we build the best product. From autonomous driving behavior to user interfaces, we work to inspire the product vision and then make it a reality.
Waymo interns work alongside leaders in the industry on projects that deliver significant impact to the company. We believe learning is a two-way street: leveraging your knowledge while providing you with opportunities to expand your skill-set. Interns are an important part of our culture and our recruiting pipeline. Join us at Waymo for a fun and rewarding internship!
In this internship, you’ll:
- Analyze data to create a deeper understanding of the Waymo Driver and its behaviors
- Define key metrics to track the performance of the driving system to accelerate improvements
- Present findings to key leadership to influence product roadmaps
- Analyze simulation, experimentation, and log data to provide actionable insights
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Demonstrated ability to extract actionable insights from data
- Expertise using Python or R to perform detailed statistical analysis and modeling
- Expertise using SQL to extract, clean, and transform data in large, complex, nested, databases
- The ability to create intuitive and readable dashboards using visualization tools (e.g. Tableau, Plotly, Data Studio)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated strong intellectual curiosity
It’s preferred if you have:
- Experience with geospatial statistical analysis
- Experience with the transportation sector
- Experience with autonomous vehicles
- An advanced degree in Statistics, Economics, Mathematics, Computer Science or similar field
- Help solve challenging problems with a direct impact on the company
- Competitive compensation packages with a housing/relocation bonus (if applicable)
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Fun intern events and networking opportunities
Onsite Perks (These perks will only be applicable if the internship is on site):
- Free breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks
- Free access to Google shuttles
- Onsite gym
Note: As the situation around COVID-19 remains unclear, unless otherwise stated this is going to be a remote internship position. We will accept resumes on a rolling basis until the role is filled. To be in consideration for multiple roles, you will need to apply to each one individually – please apply to the top 3 roles you are interested in.