LAUNCH Read/Write Channel Hardware Integration Engineer
Requisition # JR-0000062681
The next big thing in data is you!
We create environments for you to thrive. The growing diversity of data creates an exponential amount of new possibilities – for the world, our company and you. You’ll be part of a team driving the innovations necessary to outpace new demands and challenges everywhere data lives, from sensors to mobile devices to the cloud. We’ve only started to scratch the surface of what data can do. You can help unlock its full potential.
What is the Launch Program? The Launch Program is supplemental to your full-time engineering role. You will automatically participate in the LAUNCH program during the first twelve months. In this program, you will take a deeper dive into professional life at Western Digital by getting exposure to different parts of the organization, in addition to the experience you gain from your day-to-day responsibilities. Supplemental LAUNCH program elements include:
- On the job training and mentorship with industry professionals
- Supplemental professional development trainings
- Executive exposure
- Networking events with other Western Digital employees
- Competitive compensation and benefits package
- Current student, pursuing a Bachelor’s or Masters of Science degree in Electrical Engineering or related field and graduating between December 2020 and June 2021
- Minimum of 3.0 GPA cumulative
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Strong technical skills in area of study
- Interest in HDD, flash, semiconductor, components, nonvolatile memory industry
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Basic understanding on magnetic recording & signal processing
- Basic understanding on various signal-to-noise, non-linearity effects on recording performance
- Being persistent on problem/issue resolution
- Solid statistical analysis skills
- Strong communication skills and good team player
- Strong lab skills
- Strong programming skills (C/C++, TCL, etc.) preferred Strong knowledge of HDD is desirable
- Travel may be required internationally or in the US
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Integrate new features, preform failure analysis and evaluate performance for a high technology digital signal processing chip that is used for recording and playback of digital information that resides on a Hard Disk Drive.
- Work with suppliers to incorporate and tune this hardware into the HDD on various platforms and work with firmware for HDD manufacturing.
- Read / write integration using Vendor channels to optimize HDD SER, and other necessary magnetic recording functions
- Lab skills = uses oscilloscopes, signal gens, analyzers to enable channel function verification and failure analysis
- Plans, performs, summarizes, and presents findings in regard to channel verification, channel operations, technical experiments, & failure analysis results
- Algorithm development to help identifying recording performance issues/root causes with regard to the data channel function
- Develop more effective bench level testing tools to enhance FA capability
- Software skills req’d to help write manufacturing level special commands and/or update test scripts to utilize the read/write channel’s features and functions
- Basic understanding of read/write hardware functions
- Works in concert with supplier technical support teams and our HGST internal product teams (our internal customer)
- Works with suppliers hardware functional evaluation/validation teams
ABOUT WESTERN DIGITAL®
The future. It’s on you. You & Western Digital.
We’ve been storing the world’s data for more than 50 years. Once, storage was the most important thing we could do for data. Now, we’re helping the world capture, preserve, access and transform data in a way only we can.
The most game-changing companies, consumers, professionals, and government organizations come to us for the technologies and solutions needed to bring meaning and value to their ever-increasing diversity of data.
But we can’t do it alone. Today’s exceptional data challenges require your unique skills. You can be the next big thing in data.
Western Digital® data-centric solutions are comprised of the Western Digital, G-Technology™, SanDisk® and WD® brands.
Western Digital is an equal opportunity employer.
Western Digital does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion (including religious dress and grooming standards), sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), gender (including a person’s gender identity, gender expression, and gender-related appearance and behavior, whether or not stereotypically associated with the person’s assigned sex at birth), age, national origin, sexual orientation, medical condition, marital status (including domestic partnership status), physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected medical and family care leave, Civil Air Patrol status, military and veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. We also prohibit harassment of any individual on any of the characteristics listed above. Our non-discrimination policy applies to all aspects of employment. We comply with the laws and regulations set forth in the “Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law” poster.