POSITION: Fall 2021 Digital Communications Intern
SALARY: Unpaid, but students may arrange to receive academic credit for their internship through their university
DATES: Sept-Dec 2021 (Start and end dates flexible)
HOURS: 20-35 hours a week
LOCATION: Washington, D.C.
The External Relations department at the Wilson Center seeks an energetic and self-motivated student or recent graduate interested in public policy, international affairs, and digital communications for an internship this spring. Consistently ranked as one of the top think tanks in the world, the Wilson Center provides opportunities for hands on experience working on a wide range of issues that impact today’s public policy debates.
The External Relations office offers internships for students with an interest in digital communications with a focus on writing and editing for the web as well as photo research and optimization. An interest in public policy and international affairs is preferred.
The External Relations Office usually selects interns for each academic term (i.e., for Fall, Spring, and Summer internships of approximately three to four months); however, appointments can be made throughout the year for periods of varying length. No internship will exceed one year in duration. As a general rule, the Communications office is looking for individuals who are willing to devote at least 15 hours per week, up to a maximum of 35 hours per week.
These internships are designed to provide the individuals selected with the opportunity to gain practical experience in an environment that combines academic study and public policy. Internships also provide opportunities to attend events within the Wilson Center and around Washington.
Assignments might include:
- Drafting posts for the website requiring research, writing, and publishing via the content management system
- Updating various social marketing platforms such as Youtube and Scribd
- Researching, selecting, and optimizing photos for use on the website
- Researching stories on Wilson Center alumni
- Making edits to existing content on websites and blogs
- Assisting the preparation of publications and/or outreach materials
- Updating contact databases
- Performing administrative assignments in support of Communications office activities
- Possess strong research, writing, and/or administrative skills
- Possess skills in social media and Photoshop
- Be detail-oriented
- Be able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Be enrolled in a degree program, recently graduated (within the last year), and/or have been accepted to enter an advanced degree program within the next year.
This internship is unpaid. The Wilson Center is an equal opportunity employer and follows equal opportunity employment guidelines in the selection of its interns.
How To Apply
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, and short writing sample (between two and five pages in length).
Please submit your application via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with “[Season] [Year] Internship” in the subject line (e.g. “Fall 2021 Internship”).
The deadline is rolling. Applications are accepted until the positions are filled. Due to the high volume of resumes, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.