Weber Shandwick, a leading global communications and engagement firm, is seeking a talented and an enthusiastic spring 2020 intern in Washington, DC, to work with our Analytics practice.
Our Analytics internship is a full-time, paid program designed to complement and enhance academic studies through participation in a variety of assignments and professional responsibilities. Interns work side by side with the firm’s diverse team of strategists, analysts, producers, designers, developers and campaign activators.
The purpose of this internship is to expose young analytics talent to the business of marketing and communications. As ways of communicating become ever more sophisticated, data and analytics leadership will be required to reach consumers and stay competitive as an organization. Join us as we create the future of communications for our clients.
The intern assigned to our analytics team will work on a range of projects from communications reporting and automation to machine learning, and big data integration. You’ll work on clients of all types, using data to solve strategic business and communications problems. We hire technical Analytics interns to one of two tracks:
- Data Modelers: data scientists with a background in statistics and modeling (e.g. cluster-based segmentations, regression modeling, decision trees, and media mix modeling)
- Data Engineers: data gurus with skills in accessing data from multiple data sources, building pipelines, ingesting and transforming data to be used for modeling and mining.
In addition to the day-to-day responsibilities, we offer lunchtime seminars as well as a group project to enhance the learning experience and provide greater exposure to the practice of communications and public relations. Interns are assigned staff mentors to help guide and evaluate them through their professional experience and may have the opportunity to present their project to members of our staff at the end of the program.
- Understand client background and needs, including general business strategy, industry issues, products and services, key customers and competitors in the marketplace
- Participate in strategic brainstorming sessions when invited by account leads or supervisors
- Create and maintain optimal data pipelines and data integration solutions
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet business requirements through web scraping or API’s
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Mine and analyze data to drive optimization and improvement of campaign management, marketing techniques and business strategies
- Develop custom predictive models and machine learning algorithms tailored to client’s business problem
- Coordinate with different teams to implement models and monitor outcomes
- You must be a student or recent college graduate who received academic credit at an accredited college or university during the fall 2019 semester
- Rising junior, senior or recent college graduate preferred
- Available to work a full-time schedule. Business hours are 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday between January and May
Additional Qualifications: Ideal Analytics intern candidates will possess some combination of the following:
- Excellent understanding of machine learning techniques and algorithms
- Experience with some or all of the following: AWS or similar platform, Python, SQL, R
- Strong applied statistics skills, such as distributions, statistical testing, regression, etc.
- Experience with extraction and integration of data from multiple data sources
- Knowledge of ETL techniques and frameworks
- Experience with data visualization tools like Tableau
- Interest in data-based storytelling
- Basic understanding of intersection of traditional and digital PR and familiarity with developments in the media industry
- Strong verbal and written communication, organizational, time-management, and critical-thinking skills
- Experience working with or interest in web analytics, social and traditional media monitoring, and social media analytics platforms
- Experience working with or interest in data visualization tools and creative ways to display information
- Keen eye for data trends and the ability to solve strategic business and communications problems
- Familiarity with developments in the media industry, plus knowledge of a variety of social platforms (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Snapchat, etc.) and the latest news and trends affecting these channels
PLEASE NOTE: you do not have to have ALL of these qualifications, just some combination of them, in order to be a viable Analytics candidate.
To apply please submit:
- Cover letter and Resume
- Please describe a recent project or assignment you have worked on where you used a data analysis technique to solve a business or communications problem or uncover an insight. Please be as specific as possible about the problem itself as well as your role in constructing and executing the solution. Feel free to add any charts or visualizations as necessary.
- Share access to your project’s codes and reports in a Github account.
- Note, selected candidates should prepare to participate in a CodePair interview
If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply via this link https://gwu.joinhandshake.com/jobs/3174163/share_preview