Finding your ideal career is not a linear process. It is a continuous cycle of making decisions, solving problems, building relationships, and reflecting on your progress. At the W. Scott Amey Career Services Center we provide individual and group career development services to Masters, Doctoral, and Postdoctoral students.
Attend a workshop to learn the how-to’s of the career process. These presentations will answer many of your common career questions and provide insight on how to utilize all the resources available to you. You can see the complete workshop schedule and find more events in Handshake. Sample workshop topics include:
- Resume & Cover Letter
- Interview Preparation
- Job & Internship Search
|Spring 2020 Graduate Career Workshop Schedule|
OPEN CAREER ADVISING HOURS
During these hours you can meet with a staff member to get answers to your quick career questions – no appointment necessary! These hours are the best starting point for students who are beginning their job or internship search, or those who need more immediate assistance. Students will be served on a first-come, first-served basis.
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays
(January 14th – April 30th)
|2:00 – 3:00 pm||
(Check with SEAS Career Center for room changes)
CAREER ADVISING APPOINTMENTS
Meet with the SEAS Senior Career Counselor or the Graduate Fellow for in-depth assistance with your career process. These one-on-one scheduled meetings are intended for higher-level questions and strategic conversations related to the career process.
|Schedule an appointment in Handshake.|
- Career Advising (30 minutes) – Discuss strategies for your job/internship search such as networking, salary negotiation, professional communication, and more.
- Behavioral Mock Interview (45 minutes) – Prepare for an upcoming interview by practicing customized questions. Please email your resume and a job description prior to the meeting.
- Resume, CV, Cover Letter Review (30 minutes) – Receive in-depth feedback on your documents. Please bring your laptop, a printed copy, or email your document prior to the meeting.
Students may schedule 1 appointment at a time. Appointment slots will be added to the Handshake calendar on a weekly basis. Appointments can be in-person, by telephone, or video. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have issues with scheduling.
GRADUATE STUDENT PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT FUND
To encourage the career development of SEAS graduate students, the W. Scott Amey Career Services Center established a fund to help cover the cost of membership fees to engineering and technology organizations. Click the link below to learn more and apply.
|Graduate Student Professional Development Fund Application|
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT ADVISING
The International Student Community Ambassadors (ISCAs) serve the entire GW international student population, by supplementing the acculturation, engagement, and professional career services provided by the International Services Office (ISO) and GW Center for Career Services. The ISCAs organize professional workshops and social events for GW’s international community.
- International Career Workshops: See the schedule and RSVP in Handshake
- ISCA Peer Advising: Schedule appointments in Handshake.
- ISO Advisor Appointments: Meet with your assigned ISO advisor for questions regarding CPT, OPT, and other visa-related questions